Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken

I found this recipe awhile back and my family really loved it. I decided to make it again last night and about half way through the process, I thought I should share this!

One thing about this recipe. It can take awhile to get all the chicken ready, or at least it does me. I realize most people do not cook for a small army like I do but just wanted to warn you. This is not a hard recipe at all just can be time consuming if you are trying to make a lot at one time. I actually made enough of the chicken to freeze it already fried for the next time we want this so as to speed the process up a bit. You could even make the sauce up ahead of time a freeze it if you wanted.

This chicken is great for just about any kind of chicken dish. You can use it for sesame chicken, General Tso, even orange chicken. Its just a good basic chicken to keep on hand.

Hope y'all enjoy this as much as we did!



Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

Chicken

3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
canola oil

Sauce

1 cup granulated sugar
5 Tbsp ketchup
2/3 cup white vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp garlic powder


Rinse your chicken breast in cold water and place on a cutting board. Sprinkle them with the salt and pepper, cut into small pieces and set aside in a bowl.  Pour the cornstarch into a small bowl and the beaten eggs into another small bowl.

                                                 Told you I was half way through when I decided to blog this!
                                                                        Note the mess in the bowls! lol

In a large skillet, heat up about 1/4 inch of canola oil. Dip your chicken in the cornstarch 1st, then in the egg and place in the hot oil. Brown your chicken pieces on both sides and remove with a slotted spoon to a greased 9x13 pan, like so:

 
Once you get all your chicken browned, its time to make the sauce! In a small bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients together and make sure it is mixed well.  Pour the sauce over the chicken and stir it all around!
 

 
Now you will bake the chicken at 325 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to coat the chicken evenly as it bakes.  It will look like this when its done:

Yummy, Yummy!!
 
Try this one out, I promise you will not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment