Saturday, April 25, 2015

Our Silicon Marriage

When we got married, my love gave me his late mother's bridal set and his father gave me his golden band to give Hoss. I have always cherished my sweet mother-in-laws rings, even though I never had the joy of knowing her personally. She was a wonderful, beautiful woman and the fact that Hoss wanted me to wear her rings just made me feel so very special. I know what she meant to him and it showed me how deeply he loved and trusted me. I will guard those rings closely the rest of my life and he feels the same way about the one his mother so lovingly gave his father all those years ago. Neither of us wear our rings often because, well, mine are tight these days and he has always been worried about injury or losing his.

A few days back some new wedding band from Qalo.com arrived in the mail. I was so excited because they are so cool! These bands are designed for active people, people with dangerous jobs, (like Hoss) or just folks who can't wear metal bands for whatever reason. Qalo bands are made of silicon and are just the best! Ours are their Thin Red Line series designed for firemen. I purchased one for Hoss and one for myself, seeing as I am a proud Fire Wife. 

When the rings arrived I tried mine on and was amazed at how stretchy it was but also at how it snapped right back to be a perfect, weightless fit on my finger. Then when something occurred to me. These rings were just perfect for Hoss and I. 

Our marriage is indeed like our new rings. These rings are totally ours. No one has ever worn them before, they came into this marriage just like we did, ready for whatever adventure life holds! While life has certainly stretched us to what seemed like the limit from time to time, we always snap right back into shape. Never breaking, only bending when we needed to. Even the way it feels is like us. We don't have to smother each other to know we are loved. Love should be lightweight and feel like the most natural thing in the world. 

The red line that runs in the middle of both bands represents the commitment we have not only to each other but to his passion and his line of duty. As the wife of a fireman I can promise you that commitment needs to come from both of us. His commitment to service and mine to him as he serves. Wholeheartedly and without reservation, I have his back and he always protects me, as it should be.

These small bands you see in my hand represent our marriage so well. They represent us in every way possible. No matter what situation life throws at us, we tighten our grip, set our hearts to the end goal and never let anything break the bond we share. Some days we have to stretch a little make it work but we never give up. We have been through so much over the years but our bond is a strong as ever.  

Strong and built to go the distance, these rings are just like us. 




No comments:

Post a Comment